- Component names
- And more aspects of interest to readers
Let's take an example from the Impala docs:
- You start by viewing any page related to Impala.
- At the bottom are a set of Category links, including one for "Impala".
- The Impala category page includes links to all Impala-related pages, even ones that are scattered among the Installation Guide, Administration Guide, and Security Guide.
- Let's say from there you jump over to CREATE TABLE.
- At the bottom of that page, you'll see links to more categories, such as SQL and DDL.
Now you can explore the documentation to your heart's content, knowing that you are always only 2 clicks away from any related topic. My favorite paths are like "any topic related to HBase, Oozie, Crunch, etc." -> the category page for that component -> the corresponding installation, administration, or security information for that same component.
If the number of links on a category page is too much to easily scan for the information you're looking for, there's a type-ahead lookup field for all the items on the page. For example, the Administrators category page has tons of entries, but if you are looking for how to administer Sentry, you just start typing 'sentry' and choose from the relevant matching titles: